7/14/2007

Reflex Sight Final Verdict

Some time ago I did a review post wherein I showed you a reflex sight that I ordered from CDNN Sports. In that post I outlined the deficiencies that I had found thus far on this sight. Namely, as you switch through the various reticle patterns, they are not registered to each other... In other words each reticle pattern points in a different direction. Well I've finally gotten a chance to go try to shoot this sight on my PLR-16. In short, I can not recommend this sight to anyone, based upon my observations. I fired the first round and the concussion cause the reticle to blink out. So after switching through the brightness settings, it eventually came back on. So I began adjusting the sight in. Every third or fourth round... Out it would go again. Eventually I got it to hit in the center of the target. So I tightened the lock screws down and started firing. slowly the point of aim started to wander. So, I'd loosen the lock screws and adjust it back in. Eventually I sick and tired of the reticle going out and having to readjust it back in and tore the thing off of my PLR-16 and finished my shooting session with the plain iron sights and the laser sight. As far as a sight goes, this one in the ultimate cataclysmic failure. It is not accurate or robust, nor is it a good value. I can think of a million things that I could spend $50 on and this would not be one of them. Hell, at this point, I wouldn't even give you a buck fifty let alone $50 for this sight. I have yet to contact CDNN Sports to see if they'll accept a return on this item. I will report back to you either way.

The PLR-16 on the other hand performed flawlessly. I fed it several types of ammo today and again there wasn't a single misfeed. In fact, this thing has eaten somewhere near 2000 rounds already and it has yet to misfeed a round. I'm also really impressed with the Levang linear muzzlebrake... But that does bring up one issue. When a muzzlebrake is attached to the PLR-16 you can not loosen the nut that holds the front handguards on without removing the muzzlebrake. That means that when the piston vents bore gasses, the carbon builds up on the covered portion of the barrel and you have to try to clean it through the vent holes... Not a big problem mind you, but certainly an inconvenience. I'd also like to reiterate the problem with gaining access to the breech. It is extremely difficult to use a chamber brush on this gun. If I were asked for any advice for Kel-Tec regarding this gun, it'd be those two deficiencies.

There was a funny occurrence at the range today that I must relate. I was firing at an indoor range. The RSO directed me to stall #2, right next to some young gal firing a dainty Bersa 380. I unloaded the PLR-16 and my spare mags from my gun rug. Set up on the firing line and ran the target a ways downrange. I loaded the first clip, slammed a round home and with no further thought lobbed the first round downrange. The PLR barked its deafening bark as usual, startling the gal bad enough that she actually dropped her pistol off the firing bench. The RSO had to call a cease-fire so that her gun could be retrieved. After that, she asked to be moved to a more distant lane. Have I mentioned lately that the PLR is louder than the bark of a hellhound?

Firing the PLR at a public range will get you noticed. Just today two range employees (the RSO & assistant RSO) asked if they could try a few rounds. I happily obliged. The assistant RSO left asserting that the PLR-16 had just made it to the very top of his must-have toy list. After I finished shooting, I spotted him out in the gun store in front of the range. He told me that he had been saving up to buy a Kimber, but that he had dipped into those savings and ordered a PLR right then and there.

Labels: , ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com